The CMSA hosts a lecture series on literature in the mathematical sciences, with a focus on significant developments in mathematics that have influenced the discipline, and the lifetime accomplishments of significant scholars. Talks will take place virtually throughout the semester.
As part of this lecture series, the Harvard CMSA and the Tsinghua University Yau Mathematical Science Center are forming a joint publication titled, The Literature and History of Mathematical Science. Written articles will accompany each lecture in this series and be available as part of the joint publication, published by International Press Boston.
- John Coates: A Brief Account of the History of Exact Formulae in Arithmetic Geometry
- Shing-Tung Yau: Shiing-Shen Chern: A Great Geometer of the 20th Century
- Robert Griess: John Conway, my thoughts after his passing
- Robert Griess: My life and times with the simple sporadic groups
- Claire Voisin: Hodge structures and the topology of algebraic varieties
- Nigel Hitchin: Michael Atiyah: Geometry and Physics
- Yuri Manin and Matilde Marcolli: Homotopy Spectra and Diophantine Equations
- Bong Lian and Andrew Linshaw: Vertex Algebras and Commutative Algebras
- Simon Donaldson: The ADHM construction of Yang-Mills instantons
- Ralph Cohen: Immersions of manifolds and homotopy theory
- Pavel Etinghof: A brief introduction to quantum groups
- Yujiro Kawamata: Kunihoko Kodaira and complex manifolds